Find the best local food by family farms & ranches, artisan food producers, farm to table restaurants and other local food sources in Adkins, TexasRead more
Adkins is an unincorporated community founded in the 1800s. It was named after William Adkins Jones, who donated land to construct a flag station in the area. Adkins was the owner of a general store in Adkins. He would then become the first postmaster of Adkins upon the establishment of a post office in the area in 1896. Adkins had a population of 100 in the early 1900s. It also boasted of a school and two churches. The city experienced a population decline when the railway line was abandoned. The abandonment had seen major highways bypass the town. In 1915, the post office was moved to Sayers — a nearby town —but still retained Adkins as its postal area.