These preserved pears fit in perfectly with the thanksgiving and Christmas scene. You can make these weeks in advance and enjoy them when they’ve adapted the flavors of cinnamon, cloves, and anise. You can top these on practically any dessert or enjoy them on their own.
2-3 lbs fresh pears, peeled & cut into wedges
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
4 anise stars
1 tbsp whole cloves
A jar ¾ filled with water
- Place the cut pears into a bowl with the lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar, cinnamon sticks, anise, and cloves into a pot.
- Fill the jar(s) you're using ¾ of the way up with water then add the water to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer then add the pears and simmer them for 10 minutes.
- Fill the jars with the simmered pears, equally distribute the spices if you're using more than one jar, then fill with water.
- Close the lid tightly then place it into the fridge for 3-7 days to let them seep.