Chile con queso is a really super simple spicy dip or sauce you can make easily in under 30 minutes. It’s amazing served with tortilla chips and even better inside tacos, burritos, fajitas, and a ton of other dishes.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 red chile, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup whole milk
2 tbsp cream cheese
200g smoked cheddar
Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sweat off the onion, chili, jalapeno, and garlic by frying them for 3-4 minutes with a teaspoon of salt.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and fry for 1 more minute before gradually adding the milk while constantly whisking.
- Once all the milk has been added and it comes up to a simmer, season with some fresh pepper and add 2 tablespoons of cream cheese.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the grated smoked cheddar until smooth and fully combined.
- Fold in the fresh coriander and serve topped with sour cream.