Chicken fried steak is a southern classic that needs no introduction. It’s a sure-shot crowd pleaser and perfect for a sit-down dinner. Hence, I always plan on making those, when I’m hosting a few-friends-and-friends-of-friends, get-together. But being an elite procrastinator, I usually postpone cooking and cleaning (no judgments please) to the very last minute. By then, it’s a half-hour too late to start making chicken fried steak. So, I switch to a dish that’s just as good but doesn’t require as much time. Enter fried chicken with gravy.
Fried chicken follows the same recipe as steak but with chicken breasts instead, which reduces the prep and cook time considerably. In almost half the time and effort, you get crunchy on the outside and juicy, tender on the inside paprika-spiced chicken, topped off with creamy, peppery white-sauce gravy and a side of velvety mash potatoes.
Quick, elegantly simple, and delicious, this chicken recipe might not be finger-licking good, but that’s only because it’s fork-licking awesome! And if, unlike me, you aren’t pressed for time, take it up a notch, by adding a side of classic southern deep-fried okra.
Making Fried Chicken with Gravy:
Prepare the Breading:
Slice chicken breasts in half, lengthwise (butterfly), and season them well with salt and pepper. For the breading, in a flat plate, or a bowl (wide enough to fit chicken filets) take all-purpose flour. Add paprika, salt, pepper. Mix well and keep aside. Crack two eggs in another bowl, add milk, and whisk to combine. Coat seasoned chicken breasts with flour, then dip them in the egg-milk mixture and then coat them again with flour. Tap gently to remove excess flour and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Fry the chicken:
Heat oil in a skillet. Add butter cubes and melt over low-medium heat. Once butter is melted and begins sizzling, place breaded chicken in. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side till chicken is evenly browned from both sides and tenderly cooked from within. Remove and rest on a wired rack for 5 minutes.
Make the sauce:
In the same skillet, used for frying chicken, add all-purpose flour, salt and mix well with butter and chicken grease and saute for a minute. Add milk and stir continuously to avoid forming lumps. Allow the gravy to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes till it is thick and bubbly.
Assemble Fried Chicken with Gravy:
Spread a layer of mash potato on a serving plate. Place fried chicken on top, slather white sauce gravy on the chicken and top off with a sprig of marjoram.
1 chicken breast, butterflied
1 ½ cups of whole milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the gravy:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 cup mash potato
A few sprigs of fresh marjoram
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, take all-purpose flour, add paprika, pepper, salt, and mix well. In another bowl, crack two eggs, add milk and combine.
- Dip chicken breast in flour, then in the egg mix, and then again in flour. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet. Add breaded chicken in and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, till chicken is evenly brown and cooked. Remove and rest for 5 mins
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, add all-purpose flour and saute for a minute. Add milk while stirring continuously to avoid forming any lumps. Allow sauce to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes till it is thick and bubbly.
- To assemble chicken fried chicken, spread mash potato on a serving plate, place chicken on top, add white-sauce gravy, and a few sprigs of marjoram and serve