Sweet potato mashed topped with baked marshmallows is my earliest memory of a traditional American thanksgiving. It’s one of the few sweet dishes you can pass off as part of the main course. This is the best recipe for the traditional holiday dish.
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Marshmallows to garnish
- Boil the potatoes until mashable with a fork then strain and puree them into a fine mash.
- Add the brown sugar, salt, and other spices then use an electric mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the mashed potatoes into an ovenproof dish, top evenly with marshmallows then bake for 10 minutes or until the tops turn golden brown.
- Allow the casserole to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.