Refried beans (frijoles refritos in Spanish) are a staple of Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine.
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon cayenne chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a skillet over medium-high heat fry the garlic and onion with ¼ teaspoon of salt, cumin, and cayenne chili pepper and set aside.
- Boil the pinto beans for 10 minutes then strain and place into a food processor with the rest of the salt, cilantro, cayenne chili pepper, cumin, and lime juice.
- Pulse until smooth, scrape into a bowl, and top with fresh cilantro.