Find the best local food by family farms & ranches, artisan food producers, farm to table restaurants and other local food sources in Dublin, TexasRead more
Dublin is a city in Erath County. It was founded in 1854 and named in 1860, perhaps after the warning cry at Indian raids, “Double In,” for the capital of Ireland or for the double-log cabins that were used by its early occupants. In 1874, the city had a post office and a stagecoach service. Seven years later, a railroad was built and the townsite was platted out, drawing residents to the town. Dublin was incorporated in 1889 and the following year, the number of its residents reached 2,025. The population continued to grow towards 1990, as the town became a center for agriculture, oil and gas production, clothing factories, peanut shelling and drying plants, feed mills, milk processing, saddle and rope making, and metal stamping. In addition, Dublin is the former home of the famous Dr. Pepper bottling plant, which for many years, was the country’s only source for Dr. Pepper made with real cane sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup. It was also the home of the legendary golfer Ben Hogan and Lt. Col. George Andrew Davis Jr.