The town of Alvord is located in Wise County in the US state of Texas. According to the 2010 census, Alvord had a population of 1,334. This was a 32 percent increase (or 327 people) from the results reported in 2000. The original name for Alvord was Nina, and was changed in 1882 to honor Fort Worth and Denver Railway’s president. The first post office was built in the town in 1882. By 1890, it had grown to be a retail center for farmers. By 1925, Alvord had a weekly newspaper, four churches, an elementary school, and a high school.