Established in 1871, Atlanta is Cass’ County's largest city with a population of 5,745 as per the 2000 census. It is located on the eastern side of the county, with Queen City bordering it to the north. In 1885, the city’s population of 1,500 residents founded 5 churches, two for blacks and three for whites, a bank, two schools, several general stores, and the Citizen Journal (a weekly newspaper). The city’s lumbering industry reached its peak in 1890 due to a thriving workforce drawn from its 1,764 population. In terms of education, a vast section of the city is served by the Atlanta Independent School District that also runs the Atlanta High School.