Burton is a city in Washington County, Texas in the United States. The city is named in honor of John Burton who founded it in 1870. The town started to grow after Burton sold parcels of land to Houston and Texas railroad trustees. The trustees sold this land to the area residents leading to the development of this city along with Austin and Texas Highway. What accelerated the development of this city is the arrival of the railroad. The railroad reached Burton after the civil war. In 1870, this city first established a post office. The gradual growth of this community-led to its incorporation in 1972.