Located west central of Robertson County lies Calvert, Texas. It was named after Robert Calvert in 1850. He was the driving force behind getting the railroad to stop through that city. In 1869, the first trains arrived. Calvert prospered as a rail center and as county seat. In 1873, many died because of yellow fever. In 1899 the town was flooded. 2 years after a fire broke through. Its population then began to decline from 3,322 in the year 1900 to 1,426 in the year 2000. It claimed to have the largest cotton gin in the world.