Cameron was established in May 1846. It is in Milam county, Texas. It was one of the original municipalities in Texas. It is named after Captain Ewen Cameron, a Texas Revolutionary figure. Its first settlers were from Kentucky, Tennessee and Louisiana in 1834. It struggled through the 1840s and 1850s due to its isolated location with the nearest railroad being fifty miles away. The economy improved in 1881 when the railways arrived. During the 19th century, cotton farming dominated the economy. Before the railroads, it had only 500 citizens. After that, in 1892 the population reached 2000. Milam County Jail is now used as Milam County Historical Museum.