Carbon, Texas is a town located in Eastland County. Its name derives from the mineral deposits in the area. Carbon was one of the six principal towns in Eastland County. Carbon Herald was called ‘the local paper for Eastland County’ which carried important county court news. In 1881 the first store was opened by the first postmaster, John Hayes. In 1908, the Carbon School was considered to be the best school in the county. According to 2010 census, the total population of Carbon is 272. The population density was estimated 219.6 people per square mile.