Originally named Sylvan, this city was changed to Carmine. It was named after the first postmaster, Newton Carmean. Carmine is located at the Fayette-Washington county line. The population of Carmine as of 2010 was 250. The Carmine bank has been robbed twice, once in 1930 and another recently. Most of the stores along the highway in Carmine are antique dealers. Carmine shared schools with Round Top, the Round Top-Carmine Independent School District. During 1960, the cotton gins closed. The main economic influence was now farming. Between 1980 and 1985, the railroad line was closed.