Carrolton, Texas is on north of downtown Dallas, Denton and Collin counties. The first settlers came in 1842. They purchased land from The Peters Colony. The name mostly likely came from the hometown of most settlers, Carrolton, Illinois. Carrolton was an agricultural community in the 1840s. A century later, Carrolton was then a ‘grain and gravel’ town that also supported dairy industry. The oldest school would be the Carrolton Farmers Branch School District. Carrolton was officially incorporated in 1913 and its first mayor, W.F. Vinson was elected. Carrollton is a voluntary member of the North Central Texas Council of Governments association.