Named after Robert Clyde’s camp for the railroad workers, Clyde was established in 1880. The site is on the Callahan Divide between the Brazos and Colorado rivers. Some of Clyde’s first residents were a colony of Portuguese and Irish families. The first transcontinental road across US was included through the area. Clyde was famous for its fruits and vegetables. It was publicized as ‘The California of Texas’. The nickname faded when the abundance of water reduced because of drought and cold winters. Clyde has experienced at least four tornadoes, in 1895, 1938, 1950 and in 1989.