First named Coonskin, the name changed to Fireman’s Hill. Finally, in 1850, it became Cold Spring and in 1894 the two words were joined together. According to local tradition, the settlement was named by Joseph Graves for the cold spring water found there. Located in central San Jacinto County, it was elected country seat in 1870. County government, agriculture, and lumbering provided the chief sources of income for Coldspring residents during the late 1800s, early 1900s. All that remains of the town now is only the old San Jacinto County Jail, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.