Colmesneil is located nine miles north of Woodville in north-central Tyler County. Sometimes referred to as Colmesneil Junction, it was named for one of the first conductors in that area. The actual terminus of the railroad was not located in what today is thought of as downtown Colmesneil, but rather in what flourished for a time as a neighboring town called Ogden. Two towns, Manns and Sturrocks of Colmesneil and the Ogdens and Campbells of Ogden were consolidated under a single name Colmesneil in 1888. Since the land around the town is too hilly for cultivation, local products were confined to timber and some cattle.