Converse is a city in Bexar County that was founded in 1981. It is a part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area. Major Converse, the chief engineer of the Southern Pacific Railroad, bought a tract of land that includes the townsite in 1877, hence where the name came from. A year later, a post office was established. In 1896, the city had a saloon, two cotton gins, and a grocery. Four years after that, the community had the oldest youth development program in Texas – the 4-H Club. By 1965, the city had 22 business and it has completely become a suburb of San Antonio. To date, farmlands that have been passed down for generations are still visible along with other establishments like barbershops, general stores, and repair shops.