Coppell is a city in the northwest corner of Dallas County. It is a suburb of Dallas and a commuter town in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. The area was settled in the 1840s by the German and French immigrants, along with the members of the Peters Colony. Coppell was first known as Gibbs Station. The city was originally named after Barnett Gibbs who is a Texas lieutenant governor and a large landowner in the area. In 1892, the town was renamed for George Coppell who was a wealthy English financier who came into the United States and got heavily involved with the construction of the local railroad line. In 1914, the city had two churches, two general stores, two blacksmiths, a bank, a hardware store, a telephone service, and dealers in poultry, livestock, and lumber. Then, a park that includes walkways, three bridges, and a dam was built in 1936. Four years later, Coppell produced a variety of agricultural products, including cotton, wheat, oats, sweet potatoes, peanuts, and melons. The community then grew slowly but steadily and a city government was formed in 1956. To date, Coppell has numerous establishments and businesses such as restaurants, coffee shops, and parks. The city also features their 116-acre park system that included two lakes, trails, paddle boats, playgrounds, picnic areas, a Frisbee golf course, a community pool, and sports fields.