Coupland is a city in southeastern Williamson County. It was named after Major Theodore Van Buren Coupland, who was a resident in the area. In 1887, the Bastrop and Taylor Railway went under construction; lots were sold and the town was established. A couple of years after, Coupland was granted a post office. By the 1900s, the town has become a productive meeting place for the Swedish, German, and Swiss farmers. In the early 1980s, the city had a church, a post office, a bank, an eight-grade school, a gin, a grain elevator, a community center, a restored depot and museum, a construction company, a grocery store, and a famous dining business – the Old Coupland Inn. In 2012, at the 125th founding anniversary of Coupland, its residents had overwhelmingly voted to incorporate the city.