DeBerry or De Berry is an unincorporated community in Panola County. It was known as Evergreen prior to the Civil War. The town’s name was then changed to DeBerry, for Alfred Wesley De Berry, who was a legislator and a prominent local citizen. In 1874, the local post office was inaugurated and by 1885, the community had eight general stores, two churches, and a steam gristmill. In the 1920s, the discovery of oil made DeBerry enjoy a short boom. After WWII, the schools were merged with those of Carthage. In 1990, DeBerry became a prosperous rural community with its eight businesses, which eventually grew to thirty in the year 2000.