D’Hanis is a census-designated place in central Medina County and is a part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area. The community was also addressed as New D’Hanis, to distinguish it from the location of the old D’Hanis, which is just over a mile to the east. It was founded in about 1845 by Count von D’Hanis, hence where the town was named after. However, on one note, the town was named after William D’Hanis, a European agent and the Antwerp manager of Henri Castro’s, third settler in Texas, colonization company. D’Hanis was settled by 29 Alsatian families from present-day France and Germany. Therefore, a lot of residents spoke Alsatian and German, some of which were ethnic Germans who stuck to the German culture, language, and traditions.