El Campo City is located Wharton County in the US state of Texas. Local cowboys referred to this place as Pearl of Prairies. In 1890, the town changed its name to El Campo. El Campo mainly flourished on ranching. In 1891, this city established the first school which led to the establishment of a school district in 1895. By 1892, this city had a gin, mill and a general store. In 1896, a fire outbreak led to the destruction of property in this area, but in the 1900s, El Campo became the largest hay shipping centre. By 1990, petroleum and agriculture facilitated the growth of this city.