Elgin is a city located at the intersection of State Highway 95 and US Highway 290 in Texas. In 1871, a flag stop known as Glasscock opened in this area. Glasscock was a result of the Houston-Texas Central railroad crossing this city. The city is named after Robert Morris Elgin, a surveyor and land commissioner with the rail company. In 1872, Elgin was incorporated, leading to the opening of a post office the following year. In 1879, this developing city had a gristmill, gin and a newspaper. As the railroad passed through the city, it opened up its economy, enabling it to play a key role in shipping.