The Texas unincorporated community of Ellinger stands at the intersection of Farm Road 2503 and State Highway 71. The unincorporated community was named after Joseph Ehlinger. Andreas Ondrey, a resident, proposed the community's name. Ehlinger was a renowned veteran in the battle of San Jacinto. The first post office was opened in this area in 1877. By the 1900s, Ellinger had already established a school, churches, and lodges, among other facilities. The community's growth depended on business. A decline in cotton production disoriented this area, making its residents to shift focus to producing grain, pecans and ranching in the 1960s.