Located in south central Denton County, Flower Mound is a residential suburban community of 20,000 acres. It was established after Sam Houston settled a tribal dispute in 1844. Attracted by the quality of soil and potential agriculture revenue, permanent settlers moved in. Flower Mound became a substantial farming and cattle-raising community. The name was suggested by the Peters colony for the 50-foot-high mound covered with Indian paintbrush. The lake stimulated the economy of the community and attracted workers who preferred to live outside the central Dallas area. Flower Mound New Town, designed as a satellite town to limit the growing urban sprawl of Dallas and Fort Worth.