Forney is found in northwestern Kaufman County. When the earliest settlers arrived and established a community in this area, they found a broad expanse of fertile black land prairie covered with grass. The settlers started to call the area Brooklyn but was changed to Forney in honor of John Wien Forney, the Pennsylvania journalist and politician. Forney was officially incorporated in 1884, and soon afterward a mayor-alderman form of local government was established. The town grew as a farm center and residential community after 1873. Although situated in a predominantly agricultural area, Forney has been a small manufacturing community since 1936.