The county seat of Tarrant County, Fort Worth is located in north-central Texas. It was founded in 1849 by Major Ripley Allen Arnold as a military outpost against Comanche raids. The area was named after Major General William Jenkins Worth, commander of U.S. troops in Texas at the time. Fort Worth became a cattle-shipping boomtown, often called Cowtown after the arrival of the railway in 1876. Oil finds caused the development of the petroleum-refining industry in the 1920s. During World War II aircraft manufacturing began there. Fort Worth also has developed as a center of culture, with universities, museums, art galleries, theatres and a botanic garden.