Situated in Brazonia County, Texas, Freeport was officially founded in 1912 by exploiters of local sulfur deposits. Freeport is the home port of one of the world’s largest shrimp-trawler fleets. In 1528, Cabeza de Vaca landed in the area and named the river "Los Brazos de Dios". Freeport is comprised of two towns, Velasco and Freeport from opposites of the Old Brazos River. Freeport is part of the Texas Independent Trail. The main tourist attraction would be fishing in the Intracoastal Water Way. Port Freeport is a seaport on the Gulf of Mexico. It began with the construction of Dow Chemical Company, the community’s largest employer.