Hamshire is an unincorporated community in Jefferson County and is part of the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area. Perhaps, the settlement was named after Lovan Hamshire, who developed the area in the 1870s. The post office was inaugurated in 1897 and the townsite plat was filed in 1911. One of the major land dealers of the region subdivided an additional land, south of the railroad, later that year; the subdivision was named Hamshire Gardens. The town discovered oil in 1927 and 1941, which greatly contributed to the development of Hamshire. Through the 1980s, the production of natural gas became the community’s economic mainstay. Despite that, Hampshire didn’t grow as much. By 1985, the community had twenty-two businesses and 350 residents. As of 1990 and 2000, its population remained to be the same.