Harleton is an unincorporated community in Harrison County. It is located at the junction of FM 1968, FM 450, and SH 154, fifteen miles northwest of Marshall. The settlement was founded in 1890, when it was still known as Fontana, and a railroad was built the next year. By 1892, the community had two churches, two general stores, a steam gin and gristmill, a steam sawmill, and a newspaper. Later that year, the settlement was renamed to Harleton, after J. W. Harle, a local businessman who built a tram railroad from Marshall to move timber from his mill. Although the railroad abandoned the town in 1937, it didn’t affect its growth. However, the population decreased to half during the WWII. But still, the town managed to recover, especially when a gas field was discovered in 1946. From the year 1972 to 2000, its population remained at 260.