Hawley is a city in Jones County and is part of the Abilene metropolitan area. The city was established in 1906, when a rail route was extended through the area. Thus, the city was named after C. W. Hawley, a railroad official. The town continued its growth despite the catastrophic fire that hit the town in 1924. Two years later, the town was electrified. The discovery of oil during the next decade also contributed to its economy. In 1988, the city became the fourth largest town in the county, with 884 residents and a considerable number of businesses. As of 2010, its population was 634.