Kemp is a city located in Kaufman County in Texas. As of the 2010 census, the town’s population was 1,154. The city has gotten its name for Sara Kemp. Sara Kemp was the mother of Levi Noble who was the first postmaster in the city. The town was officially founded in 1851 when the post office opened. The Southern Pacific Railroad was built in the mid-1880s which attracted more people to come to the land. The city was incorporated on May 18, 1922. The U.S Bureau states that the community has 2.6 square miles of total area, 2.5 square miles being land.