Lexington is a city located in Lee County in Texas. As of the 2010 census, the town’s population was 1,177. James Shaw is considered to be one of the first settlers in the area and was the reason why the town’s first name was Shaw. The town had its first post office established in 1948. The town’s name changed to Lexington in honor of the first battle of the American Revolution, in 1850. The town itself is served by its own Independent School District. The town’s population was at its zenith in 1989. With a population of 1,284 residents at the time.