Malakoff is a city located at the intersection of Farm roads 2636, 3062, and 3441 with State Highways 31 and 198. The area was first settled before 1835 by Jane Irvine, who migrated from Alabama. The city was named after a Russian Fort Malakoff, who played a vital role in the Crimean war. Malakoff was initially known as Caney Creek and Mitcham Chapel. In 1854, a post office was founded in this place under the names Mitcham or Purdam. However, the names were already in use, which led to renaming the place Malakoff. Coal mining became a significant economic activity in this area in the 1920s.