Manvel is a U.S. city located at the State Highways 6 and 288 and Farm Road 1128 intersection in Brazoria County. The town was initially known as Pomona. Later the name was changed to Manvel. The city was named after the President of Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway. W. R. Booth's family first settled in the town in 1857. A community was formed in 1890 at the crossing of Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built in 1877. By 1892, Manvel had established a post office. In 1931, Manvel became a rich oil production area after the Texas Oil Company discovered oil in this city.