The city of Maypearl is found in Ellis County along Farm Road 66 in the United States. The town was initially known as Eyrie but soon changed the name to Maypearl. The city was named after the daughters of two International-Great Northern Railroad officials who had just settled in the area. A post office was established in 1894 but later closed in 1903. In 1910, Maypearl was incorporated, and by 1914, the city had two banks, churches, a newspaper, and businesses. In 1988, the county was selected by the US Federal officials as a proposed location for a particle accelerator.