Murchison is located in northeastern Henderson County. It was known as Lindsey before 1880 but was then renamed after the Confederate recruiting officer T. F. Murchison. Local farmers grew cotton, corn, fruit, and truck crops. In 1880 the town became a station on the St Louis Southwestern Railway. Its weekly newspaper, the Murchison Star was established in 1914. The location of the town near Lake Palestine and Cedar Creek Reservoir has made it a center for boating and fishing. According to 2010 census, the total population of the town is 594 which is 376 people per square miles.