Elected as the county seat of Comal County, New Braunfels is located near the southeastern border of the county. It was founded on March 21, 1845. The settlers easily made New Braunfels the commercial area of a growing agriculture area due to its position between Austin and San Antonio as well as the reliable water supply. It is reported that in 1850 New Braunfels was the fourth largest town in Texas. When the railroad opened in the early 1880s, the town was shipping cotton and woolen products along the Comal River. In the 1900s, New Braunfels added tourism to its major industries in places such as Canyon Lake and Guadalupe River.