North Houston, Texas is on central Harris County. The community was known as Tomball in honor of Thomas Henry Ball but took the name Scoville when a station stop on the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway was established there in 1907. Three years later, the r=town was renamed into North Houston. It grew up after a hurricane left it mud bound and without utilities. State highway maps in 1936 showed a single building at the townsite. Oil was discovered in the area in 1939. But by the 1980s all that remains were two abandoned railroad stations and a few scattered dwellings.