The United States city of Red Oak is located at the Interstate Highway in Texas. James E. Patton and the family were the first settlers in this area in 1844. The first post office was founded in this area in 1847. In the same year, the first church was established by James E. Patton. The city was initially known as Possum Trot. The name was due to the massive population of possums in the area. The city changed its name in 1849 and was named after the Red Oak Creek. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad reached this city in 1884.