Warrenton is located in northeastern Fayette County, Texas. It was established by an early colonist, William Neese in 1847 who named the new colony after Warren Ligon, another colonist. The area had previously been dominated by German colonists who, with a combination of Anglos, formed numerous minor farming communities to produce corn, cotton, and dairy products. The community flourished during the late 1800s. As the town’s population increased, a post office was founded to support the community. Due to poor soil conditions and falling cotton prices, farmers shifted to cattle and poultry. Warrenton’s population declined drastically. However, local attractions such as antique stores and St. Martin’s Church, proclaimed as the world’s smallest Catholic church, continues to garner visitors.