Yoakum is a city situated in both Lavaca and DeWitt counties in Texas. The townsite of Yoakum was platted in 1887 when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway was arriving in the area. The town was named for Benjamin F. Yoakum who was a vice president of the railway line. The town was incorporated just two years after its establishment. The city’s peak of population was in the 1920s when there were 6,184 residents, the population went up and down a little bit and reached its estimated population of 5,944 people in 2018. The town has a total area of 4.6 square miles according to the U.S Bureau.