There are two types of muffins, the English Muffin and a cupcake-like quickbread that has a raised top. The English muffin is savory and is usually treated and used like regular bread. The American-type muffin is usually consumed as is. For this entry in the promptuary, we will be using the term to talk about the quickbread-type muffin that is popular in America. Muffins are usually the same size as a cupcake but it is differentiated by having a raised top that has a browned crust that is slightly crispy. This raised top usually considered the best part of the muffin as the browning and the crust adds an intense cookie-like flavor to the quickbread.
- The Egg McMuffin from McDonald’s is made out of American Cheese, Canadian Bacon, and an English Muffin.
- The nursery rhyme “Muffin Man” was actually based in real life because many Victorian households in the 1800s had their muffins delivered to them along with other fresh foods by the “Muffin Man”
- American Muffins or just muffins have been in American cookbooks since the early 19th century cookbooks.
- The largest muffin weighed 323 pounds and was baked in Italy on October 16, 2015.
- Massachusetts has the corn muffin as its official state muffin, Minnesota has the blueberry muffin, and New York has the apple muffin.