There are three main types of mulberries, white, black, and red mulberry. We’ll be focusing more on the red mulberry as this is the species that is native to most of America. The mulberry fruit resembles blackberries. While visually similar to the blackberry, the mulberry is actually very sweet in taste when compared to the characteristic tart taste of blackberries.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Moraceae
- Genus: Morus
- Species: M. rubra
- Binomial name: Morus rubra
- The white mulberry leaves are mainly used as food for silkworms.
- The Ancient Romans used mulberry leaves for the treatment of respiratory diseases.
- The pigments extracted from mulberries are used as colorings for the food and fabric industry.
- In Germany, the mulberry is associated with evil spirits.