Strawberries are the most popular berries in the USA and the world. They are so popular that they are grown in almost state in the United States and ninety-four percent of all households consume strawberries. Americans consume 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberry per capita, with an additional 1.8 pounds of frozen strawberries per capita. Add those together and you’ll get an average consumption of 5.2 pounds of strawberries per capita!
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Rosaceae
- Genus: Fragaria
- Species: F. x ananassa
- Binomial name: Fragia x ananassa
- Fifty-three percent of seven to nine-year-old kids in the United States picked strawberries as their favorite fruit (not only of berries but of all fruits)
- Strawberries are the first fruits that ripen in the spring season.
- If laid out side by side, all of the strawberries that are grown in California will go around the world at least 15 times.
- Strawberries are the only fruit in the world that have seeds on the exterior.
- Ancient Romans used the strawberry to treat everything from sore throats to depression.