A root vegetable that is crunchy, full of nutrients, and sweet, carrot usually comes in several sizes, shapes, and colors, such as orange, purple, black, red, white, and yellow cultivars exist. It is also a weight-loss-friendly food and has been linked to lower cholesterol levels and improved heart health. The roots have an elongated, slender shape depending on growing conditions and the individual cultivar. It contains high amounts of alpha- and beta-carotene and is a good source of different vitamins.
Species: D. Carota
Binomial name: Daucus carota
- There are more than a hundred varieties of carrots worldwide.
- February 3rd is National Carrot Cake Day.
- Carrots are the second most famous type of vegetable after potatoes.
- People first grew carrots as medicine, not food, for a variety of ailments.
- The voice of cartoon character Bugs Bunny named Mel Blanc reportedly did not like carrots.
- The biggest carrot recorded is more than 8.6 kilograms, and the longest is over 19 feet.
- About 2000 seeds of carrots can fit in a teaspoon.
- Carrots can scrape off plaque and food particles, just like toothbrushes or toothpaste.
- Carrots have a higher natural sugar content than all other vegetables, except for beets.
- A rabbit eating one carrot is like us eating over 20.