Believe it or not, the oldest recorded recipe in the world was not for food, but beer. There have records indicating that people have been brewing beer for more than 7,000 years. It is believed that beer was first used for religious ceremonies (with its intoxicating effect, we can imagine why). From Egypt, it made its way to Europe, where abundant crops of barley provided an almost plentiful source of raw materials. European monks from the middle ages are credited with inventing the type of beer that we are currently enjoying today. Today, beer is one of the most popular beverages not only in Texas but in the entire world.
- The average American drinks around 20.8 gallons of beer per year.
- In Texas, the average consumption is 30.9 gallons of beer per year.
- The Czech Republic has the highest per capita beer drinking average for 24 years, with an average of 143.3 liters.
- Beer is cheaper than Coke in the Czech Republic
- There was more beer than water on board the Mayflower brought aboard by the Puritans.
- The Pilgrims landed on Plymouth because they were running low on beer.
- George Washington had his own brewery in Mount Vernon
- Oktoberfest was made into an official celebration in 1810