Castroville was the original County Seat of Medina County. Named after its founder, Henri Castro, Castroville is known as the ‘little Alsace’ of Texas. Castroville was founded in January 1842. The streets in Castroville were named in honor of Castro’s relatives and friends and the capitals of Europe. The community raised corn, cattle, horses, hogs, and poultry, and sold produce to the military posts in the area. By the mid-1860s Castroville was the twelfth largest city in Texas. Castroville has been recognized as a national and a Texas historic district. This is due to the 60 over historic buildings throughout the town.